On 29th October, Google celebrates the Republic Day of Turkey Cumhuriyet Bayramı with a Doodle. The Republic Day of Turkey is one of the public holidays in Turkey, commemorating the proclamation of the republic in 1923. It lasts 35 hours, starting at 1:00 pm on October 28. On 29 October 1923, Mustafa Kemal declared that Turkey would be a republic and renamed it as the Republic of Turkey.
Turkey had effectively been a republic from April 23, 1920 but official recognition of this came only 3 years later. On 29 October 1923, the new name of the nation and its status as a republic was declared. After that, a vote occurred in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey and Atatürk was selected as the 1st president of the Republic of Turkey by unanimous vote.
Please like and share the Video! Thank you!
Music: Long Road Ahead by Kevin MacLeod
Since then, every year on October 29 is celebrated as Republic Day in Turkey.
- Turkey celebrates Republic Day across country (en.trend.az)
- 8 Odes to Atatürk, Founder of the Turkish Republic (time100.time.com)
- Ataturk and The Turkish Nation (dinalislam1.wordpress.com)
- Ataturk museum reopens in his Greek birthplace (bigstory.ap.org)
- Remembering Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (time100.time.com)